This Saturday, September 22, 2012, my guild, the Written Remains Writers Guild is hosting our autumn Get Out & Write! Community Free Write at the Kirkwood Public Library. Each Get Out & Write! begins with a talk by a featured author from the Guild. Weldon Burge, Executive Editor at Smart Rhino Publications, is the featured author. Weldon will begin with a 30 minute author talk about his writing, which frequently juxtaposes humor and horror; and he'll discuss his evolution from author to owner and executive editor of a publishing company. The featured author also leads the free writes and Weldon tells me he has some very cool visual prompts to get everyone's creativity going. After the free write, there'll be 30 minutes to talk with Weldon, check out his books, and meet other writers. Those are just a few reasons to Get Out & Write! Take a look below the "postcard" for a few more!
Here's a link for more information about this Get Out & Write! with Weldon Burge: More information
Here are a few more reasons Why You Should Get Out & Write!
- Meet other writers. I'm always surprised by the number of writers I meet who ask me: "Where can I find other local writers?" Believe it or not, Delaware is full of writers and you can meet a bunch of them at Get Out & Write! gatherings.
- Connect with other published authors, editors, and workshop leaders.
- Network! Are you looking for a writers group, a critique group, beta readers, publishing opportunities, or editorial services? Chances are some one you meet and talk to at a Get Out & Write! can provide the information your looking for.
- Connect with members of the Written Remains Writers Guild. Because membership in the Guild is by invitation, people always want to know how they can get involved. The absolute best way is to get to know the guild members by attending our events. And attending a Get Out & Write! is a great place to start.
- Have fun writing! Get Out & Write! gatherings are not critique sessions or competitions to show off how well you can write. They are spontaneous writing sessions so writers can relax, loosen up, try new things, and just let go and let the words flow. There in no comment on or judgement of your work and reading aloud is completely optional.
- Learn something new. The featured authors who facilitate Get Out & Write! gatherings are diverse and have a multitude of experience in a variety of genres. Whether you're a newbie writer or have years of experience, you're bound to take away a new technique, idea, skill, resource, or contact that will help move your writing forward.
- Find out about other events for writers in our area.
- Support local/Delaware authors and your local writing community. By attending Get Out & Write! gatherings and other local events for writers you help our writing community grow and become bigger, stronger, and better connected. Supporting events for writers helps those events continue and encourages development of more events of all kinds for our writing community.